[hobbit] Need Help Configuring BBWin on DMZ

wiskbroom at hotmail.com wiskbroom at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:37:46 CET 2010

> From: iain
> To: hobbit at hswn.dk
> Subject: Re: [hobbit] Need Help Configuring BBWin on DMZ
>

>>> BBwin is a client, not a server so you are probably on a loser here....
>>>

>> Based on your response, so is the "client" that is compiled, but "it" can be setup in this manner, although I've never done so, yet...
>>

> Well - you did not compile the BBWin client did you/

No, I did not, I merely downloaded the msi.

> You need the hobbit / xymon server package and a linux / unix server. If
> you wanna test this I guess you could setup a VM on your windows machine

>> I recall seeing this described in a thread sometime ago, but for *nix clients, are you saying that it will just not work at all on a windows client? What about using the BB windows agent?
>>

> Again - BB windows agent is a client and not a server

Yes, no kidding, but I am not trying to make it one neither...

> AFAIU you are trying to setup a system whereby you have a DMZ, and
> clients within the DMZ can send their status to a server on the DMZ
> which then forwards onto the main server OR you want a server within the
> DMZ to be able to pull the data from your clients and send them to the
> server. Is this correct? Which are you trying to achieve?

My windows machine exists on a DMZ which has no access to my xymon server.  My xymon server however has access to the DMZ located windows client.  I wish to have the windows DMZ client collect its own data and hold it for the Xymon server, which in turn will get it with a datafetch. My restrictions are based on rules from our security team and are not negotiable.  I do not wish to create a VM running the Xymon server, although doing that will require the bb-proxy, which I assume is what you were referring to as proxy?

>>> I think you need to look at the proxy system here
>>>

>> Can you please describe what in the proxy I should be looking at/for?
>>

> First things first :)
>
> Iain

Thanks,

.vadim