Compile on different system?

Simon Lenz lenz.simon at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 30 13:40:02 CET 2010

Hello all!

last week, i've installed a little webserver on my NAS (a mybook world 1TB
white line). And everthing works perfectly:)
Now i want to add xymon as a monitoring software on it.

But my problem is, that i haven't got the gcc. (see a list  of available
packages:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs05q1armel/cross/unstable/Packages
)

Is it possible to compile everything on my desktopPC (x86) and simply move
it to the nas?
I haven't compiled something personally in my life, so please be a bit
tolerant;D

PS: The NAS has an ARM architecture. It is linux based with busybox.

greetings from germany
Simon