Static vs Dynamic IP Address for Network Tests

John xymon.user.ml at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:07:23 CET 2010

I'm using Xymon 4.3.0-0.beta2. I have a server with a static address listed
in bb-hosts as <static ip> <hostname>. The server was reconfigured to use
DHCP and it acquired a new, different dynamic IP. I didn't make any changes
to the bb-hosts file but xymon didn't seem to care the server's address had
changed. It began testing the host with it's new IP address like nothing was
different. Historical data is all there, no alarm was triggered. I
understand the hostname correctly resolves to the new IP but I don't
understand why xymon isn't trying to test the old static IP, and why it
didn't give some indication the address had changed. It just so happens that
I'm glad it went smooth but I expected to have to reconfigure the bb-hosts
file; specifically, to change the <static ip> field for that host to
0.0.0.0. Can anyone explain this behavior, and how to get xymon to alert if
a host with a static IP address has it's IP changed?

Thanks