[xymon] Netbackup test

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Aug 12 15:43:45 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, 4 August 2010 07:30:39 Roland Soderstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got this heavily modified nbu.ksh script originally from deadcat
> NBU.3.4.1.02.
> It started as a very specialized test for our particular environment.

We have a script that we have been running for some time, but it more or less
just mangles the output of 'bperror -U -backstat -hoursago 72' or similar, and
tries to extract the hostname, and send a report per client, with very crude
"color" assignment, and the full output as a report for the master server.

This method often gets things wrong, e.g. if a full backup and all but one
incrememental backup succeeded the status color will be the same as if all
backups failed. So, parsing the output in perl and assessing by policy and
ensuring that at least one schedule for each policy succeeded may work better.

And I guess -U shouldn't be used, otherwise client names and policy names get
cut off.

> I have modified it today to get a more common approach.

Can you discuss the approach?

> It might not suit the enterprise NetBackup solutions as they might be to
> large.
> Smaller and midsized solutions might find it useful.

What do you consider large? We're currently

> I use it for our Netbackup 6.5.4 on solaris with Xymon 4.3.0.0_beta2
> Anyone interested to have a go?
> mail me at rolands at logicaltech dot com dot au and I send a copy.

At present I have two similar environments.

Regards,
Buchan