[xymon] New perl library and client channel script added to xymonton

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Mon Aug 2 09:55:46 CEST 2010

>> On Thursday, 29 July 2010 08:19:07 David Baldwin wrote:
>>

>>> I've just spent a bit of time tidying up some code I've been meaning to
>>> do for ages and put on xymonton.
>>>

>>> http://xymonton.trantor.org/doku.php/monitors:xymonext.pm
>>>

>> Note that, since no one developing perl modules such as this discusses them
>> first on the development mailing list, there are now at *least* three modules
>> doing very similar things in different ways, with different name spaces.
>>
>> I would very much like to see a single official API for each scripting language,
>> with a good feature set, rather than 3 different ones with different but
>> overlapping feature sets.
>>

> Totally fair call. In fact I came up with the different namespace
> exactly because Xymon.pm already existed in xymonton, but I didn't take
> the time to even look at it. I could just have cut'n'pasted the
> functions required into the script, but that wouldn't have achieved a
> great deal either.

Module Xymon.pm on xymonton is not an perl API to build and sent data or
status reports to Xymon, but a set of perl object definitions to
synchronize a Xymon configuration file with a configuration database.
It's name was chosen by lack of both a better name and a name space in
which it could be embedded. If the latter exists, I do not mind changing
the name of the module.

Regards,
  Wim Nelis.