[hobbit] DNS Test - No Record Lookup

David Hay Currie dhaycurrie at leisurefitness.com
Thu Sep 24 16:01:33 CEST 2009

Ok, I see a lot of emails back and forth, and I think it would be good to summarize:

1.       Myself, as well as most of the people answering do not think that there is a problem with hobbit/xymon itself, but rather with it being able to query DNS

2.       From making point 1 clear, we know the test need to focus on the machine ability to resolve DNS records, and how it is set on the configuration for xymon

3.       We don’t have information about your DNS server and resolver settings. This won’t matter much except for a couple of exceptions

a.       Windows 2003 DNS will not automatically insert linux host into the DNS table, so you need to create the A records and reverse pointers manually.

b.      In windows, mainly if you have Exchange running it is recommended that you also have WINS running (to speed up hostname lookup), and so WINS is still quite common. Why am I pointing at WINS? Easily, it is used for query of hostnames, so now there is a difference into having FQDN and just hostnames in the bb-host file

4.       You can setup hosts to be monitored in the bb-host file either as a hostname, and IP or a FQDN. If possible I use the FQDN. After all, when you monitor, you want to completely monitor.

a.       From this there is something I learn from experience on my first setup. Using hostnames works with hobbit/xymon, but I did have problems with some checks not working. This was 5 years ago (My first test was BB I think actually), but I think the problem test were dns and ldap

Just to make examples easy, in my bb-host file I have

192.168.11.203  server1.leisure.com                                        # dns ldap dhcp !ftp !smtp !http://server1.leisure.com DESCR:"server:Active Directory Server and Application"

And if I run dig, I need to do

Dig server1.leisure.com

And I get the result.

The dns test itself reports

Service dns on server1.leisure.com is OK (up)

id: 57711

flags: qr aa rd ra

opcode: QUERY

rcode: NOERROR

Questions:

                server1.leisure.com.                      A

Answers:

                server1.leisure.com.      900         A             192.168.11.203

NS records:

Additional records:

Seconds: 0.000323

As it can be seen it is pretty straight forward. Does your bb server have a FQDN? Is the rest of your network a FQDN network? Do you use windows server DNS and WINS, or something else?

David Hay Currie

IT Manager