[hobbit] RRD Graph question -- splitting into subgraphs

Robert Herron robert.herron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:45:12 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net>wrote:

> On Wednesday, 2 September 2009 16:55:14 Robert Herron wrote:
> > I use the bb-roracle extension to monitor Oracle databases tablespace
> > sizes.  I wrote an "extra-script" to do this and added it to the
> > [rrdstatus] and [rrddata] stanzas in hobbitlaunch.cfg.  I updated the
> > hobbitgraph.cfg and hobbitserver.cfg files.  Everything works -- the RRDs
> > are created and the graphs are displayed on the "trends" and  "oradb"
> > pages.
>
> You may also want to consider looking at dbcheck.pl from the hobbit-perl_cl
> project, which (in conjunction with recent Xymon releases) more or less
> provides this out-the-box (without an extra script).

I tried dbcheck.pl and am not completely sold on it.  You'll see my name in
the revision history of bb-roracle so I "eat my own dog food."

> > The only problem is the graph is not split into multiple subgraphs on the
> > "oradb" page.  It is split into multiple subgraphs on the "trends" page.
> > want the oradb RRD graphs to act like the "disk" RRD graphs.  Some of the
> > monitored databases have upwards of 65 tablespaces and are difficult to
> > analyze with everything on one graph.
> >
> > Is it possible to split the graphs on the oradb page?  I did a search of
> > the archive and didn't find anything relevant.
>
> What did you add to the TEST2RRD and GRAPHS variables in hobbitserver.cfg?
> Appending ::1 to the name you added in GRAPHS (e.g. oradb::1 instead of
> oradb)
> may help.

The settings are:

TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,$PINGCOLUMN=tcp,http=tcp,dns=tcp,dig=tcp,time=ntpstat,vmstat,iostat,netstat,temperature,apache,bind,sendmail,mailq,nmailq=mailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbproxy,hobbitd,HVAC,UPS,oradb,UPS2,UPS3,UPS4,files,procs=processes,ports,clock,lines"
GRAPHS="la,disk,inode,qtree,memory,users,vmstat,iostat,tcp.http,tcp,netstat,mrtg::1,temperature,ntpstat,apache,bind,sendmail,mailq,socks,bea,iishealth,citrix,bbgen,bbtest,bbproxy,hobbitd,HVAC,UPS,oradb,oradb1,UPS2,UPS3,UPS4,files,processes,ports,ifstat,clock.lines"

I wasn't aware of the "::1" item. I'll play with that.

Thanks for the suggestions.
--R.Herron