Default templates in devmon distribution

Thomas Leavitt thomleavitt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 23:42:35 CEST 2009

All,

 There are templates being distributed in the general template package
with a sysdescr of "Linux" (see dell-perc, for example). This just
caused me to waste way too much time at one point trying to figure out
why my custom template was not being matched properly... once I walked
away and came back, I immediately realized that devmon was matching my
Netgear ReadyNAS 1100 and STM-300 to the "dell-perc" template (the
empty RAID columns should have tipped me off right away). When looked,
the spec file was matching on "Linux". So too, does the compaq-server
spec file.

 I'm posting this as an awareness point for users, as I think it is
kind of difficult to find any string more likely to be returned as
part of a system description than "Linux". I also strongly recommend
that devmon template authors use something else in their spec files to
trigger device matches, and to think about the overall uniqueness of
the strings they are using.

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt