[hobbit] Which DNS query is causing delays

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Oct 9 16:37:36 CEST 2009

In <20091009141045.GA8490 at ntm.vs.lam.cz> Milan Kocian <milon at wq.cz> writes:

>when we are talking about, I have one question in this area (DNS).
>I don't understand why http tests resolve hostnames when you explicitly
>define ip address in test. Is this intention to make dns test together ?
>(I have small patch to disable it :-).

It's because webservers often use the hostname-part of the URL to
determine how to process the request. E.g. if you have 10 sites
hosted on the same physical box (= same IP), then you must specify
the "hostname" in the URL to hit the right virtual webserver.

That's why you can override the DNS lookup:

   10.0.0.1  www.foo.com  # http://abc.foo.com=192.168.1.2/