[hobbit] Disk test, NFS and FTP queries

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Thu Oct 8 19:34:29 CEST 2009

Loris Serena wrote:
> Q1.
> Is there a way to avoid the Solaris 10 virtual filesystems
> (i.e./etc/dfs/sharetab) from being listed/graphed in the disk test?
> (possibly via conf setting on the Xymon client, rather than on the server)
>
> Also, the web page shows seven filesystems, whereas the RRD graphs
> show nine of them...
> (those 7 plus /devices and /var/run). How do I get rid of them?

Can you possibly do this by listing them in the NORRDDISKS= section of
hobbitserver.cfg?  See also the hobbitserver.cfg man page.

> Q2.
> I manage to monitor NFS mounted filesystems (from a NetApp filer) via
> an external script from deadcat.net <http://deadcat.net>, but is there
> a way to get them show up in the disk test/column?
> This way I get to:
>    a. save a column ;-)
>    b. have all the filesystems shown under one roof
>    c. have NFS filesystems automagically graphed

As a separate test, do not think you'll be able to do this.

> Q3.
> Is there a functionality similar to the BB www/notes html files, and a
> template that matches the current xymon fonts/style?
> Or, where can I add custom info about my monitored nodes? I.e. serial
> numbers, helpdesk contacts, etc...

Works just like BB, there is a notes directory.  Also in the
hobbitserver.cfg file, and mentioned in man page.

> Q4.
> I have had to enable ftp on one Solaris 10 box to allow it to just ftp
> itself (don't ask!), and therefore I configured  /etc/hosts.allow as
> follows:
>
> [actarus]$ grep ftp /etc/hosts.allow
> in.ftpd:        actarus
> [actarus]$
>
> Now, on the bb-hosts on the Xymon server, if I put:
> 10.11.12.13  actarus        #  http://actarus/ ssh !telnet !ftp !smtp
> it gets RED, telling me that FTP is up
> and if I put
> 10.11.12.13  actarus        #  http://actarus/ ssh !telnet ftp  !smtp#
> it gets YELLOW with the following message:
> Service ftp on actarus is not OK : Unexpected service response
>

> In fact, if I ftp actarus from the Xymon server cli, I get:
>
> $ ftp actarus
> Connected to actarus.boing.com <http://actarus.boing.com>.
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
> ftp> quit
> $
>
> Is there a way around this?

Not sure what you want.  !ftp is telling you ftp is up and responding
and shouldn't, but it is, hence the red.  However, the FTP service
/isn't/ responding correctly to your xymon server, since it disconnects
(due to your access rules).  Either you need to allow the xymon server
to connect (via your hosts.allow rules), not monitor it, or hack around
on the bb-services file (maybe even adding a custom ftp service that
only checks connectivity).