[hobbit] Critical systems view editing

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 22:35:45 CEST 2009

Henrik, the only thing I would be looking for currently is to be able to
create a template for a group of hosts (say all web servers) coupled with a
service (e.g. http) plus a template for another group (say samba servers)
coupled with a service (e.g. smbd) and then be able to clone a host from
BOTH of those templates (i.e. I have web servers which are also samba
servers and of course they are all critical).
So, it seems to me that if the logic of the editor and the processor were to
treat hostname+test as the key to the file and (here's the tricky part) the
key to link to when cloned, it would work. At least for me. I guess the
cloned record would have to include the test, too as part of the key.

I think the file would have something like

Web Servers|http|1|....|sjh...
Samba Servers|smbd|1|...sjh...
bigserver|http|=Web Servers-http
bigserver|smbd|=Samba Servers-smbd

or something like that. The logic would have to make the translation from
the link (=) to the key (e.g. Web Servers|http).

Is this making any sense?

Thanks,
Steve.

--
Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce
the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility. -St. Augustine (354-430)

Truth never damages a cause that is just. -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
(1869-1948)