[hobbit] Linux clients

Greg Hubbard glh.forums at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:45:52 CET 2009

The client does not require privilege.  If you have access to ANY modern
Solaris machine with the required stuff (gcc, gmake, perl, etc.) you should
be able to compile the client using the method provided.  Once done, you can
make a tarball of the client directory (and subdirectories) and then install
this on any other Solaris machine and it should work after a little bit of
configuration.  This is how I have distributed many Solaris clients -- I
copied up the client directory on the Solaris server machine.  In fact, I
believe that Xymon supports a variation of this method for distributing
client updates once you have a client working.

Caveat -- you have to have the same architecture -- so don't try to run
something compiled for a SPARC on x86, and vice versa.

GLH

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Ricardas Vaitkus
<Ricardas.Vaitkus at seb.lt>wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am not root on client machines, so I can't configure clients I need. I
> can't install some required libraries.
> So I think it is reasonable to share compiled clients. Because now I am
> using old bb clients and do not have full functionality of upgraded XYMON
> Personally I mostly need Soliaris 10 clients. If anyone can help I would be
> very grateful
>
> Ricardas
>
> Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com> wrote on 10/11/2009 15:11:41:
>
> > Untar the source and type ./configure.client
> >
> > On 11/10/09, Nikesh Maharaj <NMaharaj at tcta.co.za> wrote:
> > > Good afternoon,
> > >
> > > I have just installed a Fedora linux server. I would like to install
> the
> > > client and monitor.
> > > Where can I find this please ? is there a guide to install this?
> > >
> > > Linux newbie
> > >
> > > --
> > > This message has been scanned for viruses and
> > > dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> > > believed to be clean.

> > --
> > Josh Luthman
> > Office: 937-552-2340
> > Direct: 937-552-2343
> > 1100 Wayne St
> > Suite 1337
> > Troy, OH 45373
> >
> > "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
> > --- Albert Einstein
> >
> > To unsubscribe from the hobbit list, send an e-mail to
> > hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

--
Disclaimer:  1) all opinions are my own, 2) I may be completely wrong, 3) my
advice is worth at least as much as what you are paying for it, or your