[hobbit] Hobbit 4.2 and IOSTAT on AIX

Wood, Mike Mike.Wood at kci1.com
Thu Nov 12 13:02:14 CET 2009

Thanks Stef for the good advice (as usual).
I've written my script for AIX, and followed the Linux webpage, but I've got a few problems.
The biggest issue is that the values on the graph are too small for the data being submitted.
-
I suspect it has something to do with my lack of understanding the finer points of RRD.
My RRD output is aggregated by volume group.  Here is a sample:

[iostat-vg.data02_FDEV.rrd]
DS:tps:GAUGE:600:0:U 2451.5
DS:Kb_read:DERIVE:600:0:U 19336
DS:Kb_wrtn:DERIVE:600:0:U 48

And here is my graph definition in hobbitgraph.cfg:

[iostat-vg]
   TITLE VG aggregate read and write
   YAXIS KB/s
   FNPATTERN iostat-vg.(.*).rrd
   DEF:Kb_read at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:Kb_read:AVERAGE
   LINE2:Kb_read at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@ read KB/s
   GPRINT:Kb_read at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %8.1lf (cur)
   GPRINT:Kb_read at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %8.1lf (max)
   GPRINT:Kb_read at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %8.1lf (min)
   GPRINT:Kb_read at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %8.1lf (avg)\n

   DEF:Kb_wrtn2 at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:Kb_wrtn:AVERAGE
   CDEF:Kb_wrtn at RRDIDX@=0,Kb_wrtn2 at RRDIDX@,-
   LINE2:Kb_wrtn at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@ wrtn KB/s
   GPRINT:Kb_wrtn2 at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %8.1lf (cur)
   GPRINT:Kb_wrtn2 at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %8.1lf (max)
   GPRINT:Kb_wrtn2 at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %8.1lf (min)
   GPRINT:Kb_wrtn2 at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %8.1lf (avg)\n

So why would the values for this hot VG be graphed at no more than 50?
What am I missing?

Thanks in advance?

Mike Wood
UNIX System Administrator