[hobbit] red is good

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Nov 4 11:11:59 CET 2009

In <DB352625B11C7B449262DE382AD536C525A2F818F4 at maserati.cars.ad> Kenneth Falor <kenneth.falor at fcer.com> writes:

>If I ping the cell cards static IP it is down (red) when it is not dialed, =
>so I need alert on green status. I also do not want my main status pages to=
> be red all the time.  is there a way to say "red is good, but green is bad=
>"?

>From the bb-hosts man-page:

   "!conn" will be green when the host is NOT up, and red if it
   does appear on the network.

>Other monitoring tools allow for contingencies like 'if the WAN IP is down,=
> then try pinging the WWAN IP, but do not ping WWAN IP until then." can hob=
>bit do this?

Not quite, Xymon will always ping both of the interfaces. But you
could do something like

    10.0.0.1  wanconnection # conn=best,192.168.1.1 testip

where 10.0.0.1 is the primary IP and 192.168.1.1 is the secondary.
This will show the "conn" status as green if one or the other
IP is up.

Personally, I would probably prefer to get an alert when the
primary connection went down, so I would have each of the two
connections as separate entries in bb-hosts, and then a combined
"virtual" entry for the combined status:

   10.0.0.1    wan-primary # testip
   192.168.1.1 wan-backup  # testip dialup
   10.0.0.1    wanconnection # conn=best,192.168.1.1 testip

Then you can trigger a "fix it now!!" alert if "wanconnection"
goes red on the conn status, and a "someone should look into it"
alert if only "wan-primary" goes red.