[hobbit] Optimizing Xymon disk performance

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Tue Nov 3 11:32:37 CET 2009

Henrik Størner wrote:
> <snip>
>
> The standard 4.3.0 beta adds caching of RRD file updates, and this has a
> significant impact on the I/O load of the server - essentially, it means
> that hobbitd_rrd caches up to 12 updates (= 1 hour) before it does an
> actual update of the RRD file. Since the amount of disk I/O is almost
> identical whether you're doing one data update or 50, this caching
> eliminates about 90% of your disk I/O on the RRD files. So that would be
> the simplest solution to implement.

I am running 4.3.0-0.20080103 so quite an out of date version. However I
would be interested in learning this. Would I have to upgrade my hobbit
/ xymon installation to get this feature? What version contains it? How
do I enable it?

Currently I have > 100,000 rrd files and the server sits with between
20% and 50% i/o wait. Performance  is acceptable I guess  but anything
to improve  this would be welcome.

Cheers

Iain

<snip>