[hobbit] Duration for one round of server side module

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 03:22:11 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM, T.J. Yang <tj_yang at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Asif
>

> There are a few questions need to be addressed for non-home deployment.
>
> 1.  Do we  want to have  xymon clients to query Sun's patch database file ?
>     The answer should be No for a site have big xymon client installations.
> 2. the pca xymon client module should query internal solaris patch database
> server(on xymon server).
> 3. the pca xymon server side EXT module should in sync with Sun's patch
> database server and download the zip files for internal installation.
> 4. pca rely on wget and wget rely on other software also, be prepared to
> deal with pca xymon module for solaris 2.6 and above that doesn't come with
> wget.

I discussed w/ pca community and server side module works better
Here is the thread.

    http://www.mail-archive.com/pca@lists.univie.ac.at/msg00939.html

Most of the servers are between sol 8 and sol 10 but that is not a problem
since I am doing it
on the server side and my hobbit server is sol 9

I updated the hobbitclient-sunos.sh file and pushed using clientupdate
method to all the clients.
only the following lines needed to add to the hobbitclient-sunos.sh. That
was enough data
to generate the pca report

echo "[showrev]"
showrev -p
echo "[pkginfo]"
pkginfo -x

right below [ps] section

Also whenever new version pca comes I just need to update the pca on hobbit
server to get my patch report

>  I don't quite understand why you design pca work as server side module
>

> For me, I did it as a client side module and create another column (pca)
> for each xymon client.
>
> Here is an example of what it looks like so far
>

> http://xymon.dlinkddns.com/hobbit-cgi/bb-hostsvc.sh?HOST=netinstall.test.net&SERVICE=pca
>
> P.S. I interacted with pca author but failed to convince him we (xymon
> community) can have a "-M" option to send out xymon needed html format.

You use the `-L ' switch to get html report.