[hobbit] Graphing legend

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sat May 2 00:24:14 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Everett, Vernon <
Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au> wrote:

>  Hi all
>
> I have noticed, that some graphs appear to have the colour legend at the
> top, and some at the side. (See attached)
>

> I can't seem to see what in the configs defines the location of the legend.
>
> Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

I think I've run into this before...  Take a look at the definitions -
[vmstat] looks like this:

        DEF:cpu_idl=vmstat.rrd:cpu_idl:AVERAGE
        DEF:cpu_usr=vmstat.rrd:cpu_usr:AVERAGE
        DEF:cpu_sys=vmstat.rrd:cpu_sys:AVERAGE
        AREA:cpu_sys#FF0000:System
        STACK:cpu_usr#FFFF00:User
        STACK:cpu_idl#00FF00:Idle

and the [disk] entry looks like this:

        DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:pct:AVERAGE
        LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@

With multiple disk partitions, that would expand to:

        DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:pct:AVERAGE
        LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:pct:AVERAGE
        LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:pct:AVERAGE
        LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@

I *think* what happens is that when you have the DEF lines all stacked
together (as in vmstat), you get the color legend across the top.  When you
have the DEF lines alternating between the line/area drawing lines (as in
disk), you get the color dots at the start of each line.

I don't currently having a working xymon, so I can't try this, but you could
check that by altering the vmstat entry to alternate the DEF and area
drawing lines to see what happens.

Ralph Mitchell