[hobbit] PROC question

Henrik =?unknown-8bit?Q?St=C3=B8rner?= henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Mar 24 13:29:40 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 02:17:07PM -0400, Williams, Doug (Consultant-RIC) wrote:
> I have one server that has over 1700 processes, which includes a LOT of
> java processes, causing a lot of characters per line.   So the entire PS
> output is not sent to the server; is truncated around 1400 lines.
>
> The problem is that any PROC I define to be monitored, that happens not
> to be within that 1400 lines stays in alarm condition.
>
> I played with setting MAXLINE and MAXMSG_STATUS to very high numbers,
> but to no success

If this is using the Hobbit client, you will also need to increase
the MAXMSG_CLIENT setting. The Hobbit client sends a CLIENT message
first; the hobbitd_client module on the server then converts this
into a STATUS message for each of the status columns. So you need
to increase both.

> I also noted that in BB man pages it, says:
>
> /*
> The maximum size of a message is defined by the maximum allowed length
> of your shell's command line, and is typically 8-32 KB.
>
> If you need to send longer status messages, you can specify "@" as the
> message: bb will then read the status message from its stdin.
>
> */

The Hobbit client uses the latter method, and does not have the
few KB limit.