[hobbit] Anyone have a pre compiled solaris 10 or mac OSX client?

Brian Catlin bcatlin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:52:21 CET 2009

Depending on your Solaris 10 buildout -you probably have gcc loaded on it
already.   It is very easy to build a client from the server bundle.  Look
in the source directory - there is a configure for client  - run it.  Then
make and make install.  Make sure the client just built is not started and
running.  cd to the directory above client in the Xymon install directory -
tar it up = voila!  - a Solaris 10  client ready to deploy. You may want to
do this in a chrooted jail so it does not interfere with current client set
up. Any way you go - it is best to start with a clean build area.  I like to
use a client server that needs a new client.  First one is the build center
for that OS and version.  I build it out configure it to what I need,
including extra scripts and whatever. I verify it works, turn off the client
- clean up logs and temp, make sure the etc files are set up for global use,
then make a tarball of it.  After I have the tarball - restart the client
and away we go.  The tar ball I use to deploy - very little to change in
install.

Galen's site has the startup scripting needed to add Xymon in as a service
in Solaris 10 - I don't know if it has been changed to xymon yet,but the one
that had hobbit in it worked well = its very easy to edit and make the
changes.  (You will have to edit it anyways to tell it where everything is)

The Mac I leave to those who use it and know it well.

lurch at inorbit.com