[hobbit] If dbcheck slow mode activated, XYmon becomes purple

Francesco Duranti fduranti at q8.it
Fri Mar 13 19:40:45 CET 2009

Hi, the fast/medium/slow check are related to what check you will do (and not the time you do them).

This is my configuration on checks on the dbcheck.ini
bbconncolumn            = ChkConn::fast
bbauditcolumn           = Audit::fast
bbtablespacecolumn      = TblSpace::fast
bbextentcolumn          = Extent::slow
bbhitcachecolumn        = HitCache::fast
bbmemreqcolumn          = MemReq::fast
bbrollbackcolumn        = RollBack::slow
bbinvobjcolumn          = InvObj::fast
bblockscolumn           = Locks::fast
bbsessioncolumn         = Session::fast

For example I use them to differentiate the checks on the same databases
In hobbitlaunch I have:
[dbfast]
        ENVFILE /home/bb/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        NEEDS hobbitd
        CMD $BBHOME/ext/dbcheck.pl fast
        LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bb-dbfast.log
        INTERVAL 5m
[dbslow]
        ENVFILE /home/bb/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
        NEEDS hobbitd
        CMD $BBHOME/ext/dbcheck.pl slow
        LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bb-dbslow.log
        INTERVAL 120m

So [dbfast] will run only checks defined as "fast" in the dbcheck.ini files every 5 minutes while [dbslow] will run every 2 hours to check Extent and Rollback (those kind of checks are more impegnative on the Database and take a long times on some of the database I check).

On the bb-hosts file I've:
group-compress Dev DB
0.0.0.0 db1 #   noconn dbcheck
0.0.0.0 db2 #   noconn dbcheck
0.0.0.0 db3 #   noconn dbcheck
0.0.0.0 db4 #   noconn dbcheck

The configuration related to how much a check is "valid" for xymon is already in the dbcheck.ini file and must be at least greater than the interval you run the checks + the duration of the test or xymon will put the check in purple.

In your case what is happening depends on how you configured the checks by default (fast/medium/slow) but it can happen that you're simply running the same checks at different interval and with different "valid" time.

The value of
fastcheck               = 30m
mediumcheck             = 2h
slowcheck               = 6h
is put already on the status+xx (so there's no need to manually edit it) of the 3 different kind of checks (so if you're doing the slow checks you're getting status+6h for example with this value).

To check what value you're getting go to the page of the checks (for example in the tablespace check page) and go to the bottom of the page you will find something like this:

dbcheck.pl version 1.07 - column TblSpace lifetime 30m, tested in ~ 00:00:00 (max 01:00:00)

for a check defined as slow like the Rollback for me you see something like this:
dbcheck.pl version 1.07 - column RollBack lifetime 6h, tested in ~ 00:02:10 (max 01:00:00)

Hoping this helped.

Francesco