Creating graphs for custom scripts

john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com
Wed Jun 10 20:53:29 CEST 2009

Ok, I have had some luck with this but things changed as I moved
forward.

First off I did follow the instructions that are here:
http://www.hobbitmon.com/hobbit/help/howtograph.html

But, what I am trying to graph is physical/logical disk queue length of
my windows boxes.  My server is ubuntu and I do have a script that
actually can go out to multiple hosts to get the information (disk queue
length).  My problem is that under my test column each host can have a
different set of drives to get stats for.  So, say serverA has drives C
& D but serverB has drives C & E.  I can make serverA graph if I define
exactly what is sent to Xymon drives C & D.  What I would like to do is
have the config in hobbitgraph.cfg be able to work with data returned
from any number of drives.  These can all be in the same single graph or
in multiple graphs (can't seem to get either to work).

So, in hobbitserver.cfg I have added:
TEST2RRD="...,hdd_test=nvc"
NVC_hdd_test="diskqueueC:GAUGE,diskqueueD:GAUGE,diskqueueE:GAUGE"
I have also tried:
NVC_hdd_test="diskqueue*:GAUGE"
NVC_hdd_test="diskqueue:GAUGE"
Also - test2rrd without the "=nvc" and without the lines above.

In hobbitgraph.cfg I have many different configurations but I can't get
the graph to work unless I specifically define each variable and then it
will only work with a single host that matches a specific set of drives.
I would add my hobbitgraph.cfg additions but there have been so many
different modifications if I put only one in it would tell the whole
story.

Is there a way to add a graph definition to hobbitgraph.cfg that uses
wildcards?

Something like:
[hdd_test]
        FNPATTERN hdd_test(.*).rrd
        TITLE Avg. Disk Queue Length
        YAXIS Queued Requests
        DEF:diskqueue at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:pct:AVERAGE
        LINE1:diskqueue at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        -l 0
        GPRINT:diskqueue at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:diskqueue at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:diskqueue at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:diskqueue at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

The values sent to Xymon test column "hdd_test" would look like (of
course these could be C & E, C & D, or any other combo):
diskqueueC : 0
diskqueueE : 0

Thanks,

John

John R. Rothlisberger

Accenture  *  Accenture Infrastructure Outsourcing

Office: 312.693.3136  *  Octel: 68/33136  *  Fax: 312.652.3136

MSN: johnr3728 at hotmail.com

AIM: johnr3728