[hobbit] Alternate web interface work?

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 16 04:24:18 CEST 2009

________________________________
> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:43:35 -0700
> From: jcleaver at soe.sony.com
> To: hobbit at hswn.dk
> Subject: [hobbit] Alternate web interface work?
>

> I’m
> curious if anyone out there is working on a full-fledged alternate web
> interface to the hobbitd data. It seems like all the pieces are there for an
> AJAX/auto-updated and/or CSS-enabled display scripts, but before I plunge into it
> I was wondering if someone else already had.

Glad to know you are interested to improve xymon server's web GUI.

I have been looking around current opensource offerings for this subject.
Here is what I found.

1. Mainly there are choice of jQuery,protoype and extjs javascript frameworks for GUI

Looking futher, I found there are other afforts to provide freindly GUI for an applicatoin.

2. qWikiOffice, is a php/extjs/mysql architecutre.
3. TomatoCart Administration tool, a reuse and improved gui but for eCommerce purpose.

Some effort needed to adapt qWikiOffice for xymon server.

for a face lift type of big GUI change, we need to convert C data sturcture into JSON format and json reader to render into cool GUI from 1. and convert those *.cgi scripts into *.js scripts.

I am busy with my personal  xymon inventory project and I am going to use extjs/sqlite(or mysql) to store a host's inventory information and connect system information with inventory information on xymon server page and also setting up sample projects to learn php/mysql/extjs and catalyst/mysql/extjs. Having catalyst to use extjs as View(instead of default plain TT) took me longest time.

What is your detail idea to provide alertnative GUI for xymon server ?

tj