[hobbit] SMTP - connection refused

Xymon User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Mon Jan 26 22:37:08 CET 2009

I use badTEST for that where necessary.  Depending on what MTA you're
running, you may be able to boost the refusal level from defaults without
compromising server operation.  With sendmail, refuseLA defaults to a load
average of 12*number-of-processors, and most relatively modern Linux
servers will continue operating reasonably at 50 or higher if they're
dedicated MTAs.  I used to have that level frequently on Dell Poweredge
2550's with dual 1Ghz processors and 4Gb RAM running RHEL 3.  In a spam
storm, the undeliverable bounces could get out of hand, but that's a
problem that should get attention.