Generating custom client data file

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Mon Jan 19 08:41:25 CET 2009

Greetings all

I have an interesting question/problem, and I am hoping somebody can help me. (I think this might be one for Henrik though)

We have a Windoze database cluster, with bbwin on each, which works OK.
Those who know the Microsoft cluster software, will know that the "active" disks could be resident on any server.
As a result, you may have a disk appear on one server, then "disappear", and suddenly "reappear" on another server in the cluster.
This makes consistent monitoring and trending difficult.

We decided to try and write a test which created a consistent view of the cluster.
To do this, we created a script which runs on all the members of the cluster, but only the "active" member would send results, pretending to be a server called $CLUSTER_NAME

To make this happen, we decided  to send a new data file to the hobbit server, as if it was a new client altogether.
(Data file like the one you see when you click on "Client Data" link in the disk view)
Of course, there is no physical server with this name, it's just a "place-holder" and an entry in bb-hosts.

We ended up sending just the basics - at least to start with. It looked like this.
client DBS_CLUSTER.bbwin win32
[date]
19/01/2009 2:55:51 PM
[disk]
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used       Avail    Capacity    Mounted      Summary(Total\Avail)
I               314568732   23992884   290575848    7.%       /FIXED/I        300.00gb\277.11gb
J               26210012   6593428   19616584    25%       /FIXED/J        25.00gb\18.71gb

Then something really strange happened. (see attached image)
It graphed the 2 drives OK, but these 2 red entries appeared. They are not related to any disk, and we have no idea where they are coming from.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome

Regards
     Vernon

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential.
They may contain legally privileged information or
copyright material. You must not read, copy, use or
disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact us at once by return
email and then delete both messages and all attachments.