[hobbit] Netware & clientupdate

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jan 5 14:07:22 CET 2009

In <495FACC6.8020503 at richter-it.net> Torsten Richter <bb4 at richter-it.net> writes:

>1. Has someone a working Netware client and can share it with me?
>   Or do you monitor servers running Netware 4.x and above another way
>   and can tell me how to do it?

Netware was never really well supported in the old Big Brother
system, and noone has apparently had enough interest in a
Netware client to build one for Hobbit/Xymon.

There's an ancient "BBNW" client at
  http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/projects/bigbrother/bbnw.html
and I *think* it will work with Xymon, since it uses just the
old BB interface. I don't know if it is sufficient for what
you need.

>2. I just installed XYmon 4.2.2 as server on Solaris 8.
>   I have a client running Solaris 10. So I compiled the client
>   on this machine and transferred it back to the server to try
>   the clientupdate. I did as written here:
>   http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/man1/clientupdate.1.html
>   But after client-local.cfg got reloaded not only the Solaris 10
>   client got updated with the new version. The client on the Server
>   also got overwritten with the new version which is not what I wanted.
>   So how do I tell XYmon to update only specific machines instead of
>   all running the same OS but in different releases?

I guess you added the "clientversion:NNN" line to the "[sunos]"
section of client-local.cfg ? Then it applies to all hosts that
are "sunos" hosts. If you want to do it for just a single host,
then copy the "[sunos]" section to a new section called "[server1]"
(replace 'server1' with the real hostname) and put the clientversion
line in that section, instead of the [sunos] section.