[hobbit] license question

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Fri Feb 27 18:56:45 CET 2009

Henrik St?rner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 04:34:34PM +0100, Jan Vojtko wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> we would like to use hobbit as the part of our monitoring system delivered
>> to our customers.
>>

> You should read the COPYING file that comes with Hobbit, that is
> the official license text for Hobbit.
>

>> Can we do it?
>>

> That means you will be "distributing" Hobbit in the legal sense of the
> word, and therefore all of the terms of the GPLv2 license come into play.
> What this means is essentially that if you make any modifications to
> the Hobbit source code, then you must make these modifications available
> to everyone - e.g. by posting the source code to your modified Hobbit
> on a website. That includes any bugfixes, enhancements, custom
> add-ons and modifications etc. Anything except changes to the
> configuration files.

I am interested here. Say I work for a hosting company and I am selling
dedicated servers. If I install the hobbit client on the server to
monitor the server, am I "distributing" the code? Is this not more
Software as a Service that was covered under GPLv3? Again this is just a
point of interest for a Friday afternoon.

Cheers

Iain