[hobbit] HTTP response time test

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 17:46:39 CET 2009

I was doing pretty much exactly that for my recently-ex employer.

There's a tool called 'curl' which is very good at getting web pages.  You
would do something like this in bash:

     curl -s -S -L --max-time 5 -o /tmp/page.html http://server.domain.com/
     if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
        # something went wrong.  the return code tells the actual error
        COLOR=red
        MESSAGE="page fetch failed.  curl error $?"
     else
        COLOR=green
        MESSAGE="page fetch successful"
     fi

then use server/bin/bb to send the report to the server.  I generally saved
the html somewhere in the web server's document tree, then added a link to
the report so that Midrange Operations could click through and see the
actual page the server returned.

Curl can also tell you how long the transaction took, which you could add to
the report in a format that xymon could pick up for graphing.

Ralph Mitchell