Question on Hobbitping

Jason Hand jason at hands4christ.org
Fri Feb 27 01:25:39 CET 2009

I saw a couple of threads on this issue but I'm not clear what the best
solution is.  When I run a ping to a given host on the same network I see
the response in very small ms response times but Hobbit 4.2 reports that
they are from 20ms to 40ms.  Another poster commented:

"It looks like the delays are coming from the usleep line in send_ping();
this looks like it was put in there to do some network/cpu throttling,
which would definitely make the bbtest-net duration longer, but I'm not
sure yet why it is affecting the icmp return times.

Running hobbitping with the flag "--max-pps=10000000" seems to fix
things."

My question is -- Where do you add that flag?

Also, would it be advantageous to run fping instead of Hobbitping?  How many
of you are running fping instead of Hobbitping and why did you choose that?

Thanks,
Jason