[hobbit] New Hobbit server install validation

Henrik =?unknown-8bit?Q?St=C3=B8rner?= henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Feb 26 10:45:53 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 03:30:17PM -0600, Rafal Roginela wrote:
> I have a 4.2 install of Hobbit up and running and I am very happy with
> it. It runs on an old Gateway workstation with a Celeron and 512MB and
> performs stellar! CentOs 5 nothing fancy. I was going to move it to a
> more recent piece of hardware a Dell OptiPlex 320, which at least it is
> under warranty. I had the Idea of running it as a Xen VM on a Debian
> host. Is this a bad idea?

The only problem I've seen with Hobbit running in a VM is that the
virtual machines - at least with VMware - sometimes have problems
maintaining their system clock in sync with the real world. The
clock tends to drift somewhat.

Since lots of stuff in Xymon (Hobbit) is timing dependant, this
can be a problem. The 4.2.0 and 4.2.2 versions in particular would
not handle a system clock going backwards very well - 4.2.3 is
better, and it should be all cured with 4.3.0, at least so that
Xymon doesn't crash if that happens. But it will still affect the
timestamps that appear on all of the log entries Xymon makes.