[hobbit] Xymon 4.3.0: Beta version available on Sourceforge

Brian Catlin bcatlin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 03:43:08 CET 2009

How about you alert on the incoming as usual, then store the events (batched
or not) into the backend database so that reports can be developed for
management, history could use for lookups, etc... That might make this a
little more palatable to you, and a lot more usable to those of us who have
to prove to management that the  time we invest in getting this doing what
we want is not a drain on their resources.

Reports are management blood, no reports - no use... (for managers) - I have
had managers tell me this in the past. (on the other hand - two weeks after
I installed clients on one department's sun servers, the manager had some
questions about server performance over the past few weeks = was quite
pleased and surprised when I gave him a spreadsheet that laid out the data
for all his servers in 1/2 hour, as was even more please when I showed him
how to view his page of servers.)

Another thing that using a database to store history in - much better
security for those of us who work in security realms and have to protect
data - alarm history can give a lot of info away to a hacker if they gain
access to the server running the master.
With a database, it can be secured and only have authorized users that
access it.

One thing everyone should remember - in business, as in life, perception is
80 % of the way things are seen - think about it...

lurch at inorbit.com