[hobbit] Re: MEMPHYS went nuts

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 16:27:03 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole at cairodurham.org>wrote:

> On Sunday, December 20, 2009, Xymon User in Richmond
> <hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net> wrote:
> > Any chance the kernel
> > or related components have been updated since the last previous reboot
> > and/or since the Xymon build, and that this reboot loaded the changes?
>
> Not a bad question, but no.  There have been no changes in the kernel
> or OS for a little while now.  In fact I am hoping to have a chance to
> do an update in about two weeks.
>
> The system did reboot unexpectedly, though.  I wouldn't have expected
> that to have an effect.  What do you think?
>
> I tried a "controlled" restate just now via shutdown -r now.  After
> giving the systema few minutes to talk to itself, it is still
> reporting strangely high numbers.
>
> Would it make sense to pkg_delete the Xymon daemon on the observed
> host and reinstall it?  Or could that make things worse?

If you click through the "client data available" link, you'll see this near
the top:

     [meminfo]
     Total:4084
     Free:6920
     [swapinfo]
     Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
     /dev/da0s1b       4194304        0  4194304     0%

That "Total:4084" is supposed to be the total physical memory in the system,
if I'm reading the freebsd-meminfo.c source correctly.  If you have the
xymon source, that's under the "client" directory.

If that system is supposed to have 8G of memory, I think the kernel may not
be seeing half of it...

Ralph Mitchell