[hobbit] running BB 4.2 and Xymon on the same host

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Dec 18 15:26:37 CET 2009

On Friday, 18 December 2009 00:34:11 Roland Soderstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just discovered Xymon, I have a Quest BB 4.2 server right now.
> BB is really buggy and most things don't work, and there is no real
> support, even though you pay for it...
> I'm stuck with the BB server for production.
> I would like to install Xymon on the same server for testing.
> Is this possible?
> Maybe I need to change the 1984 port for Xymon bbd.
> I could just use another virtual host on any port for the apache2 server.
> The problems I see is the clients sending bb data to both BB and Xymon.
> And running both BB and Xymon servers on the same host.
> Any ideas how to set this up?

I did something like this, but it was a long time ago (migrating from the last
BB btf to Hobbit 4.1.0)

I think I did it something like this:
1)Run Xymon's hobbitd on a different port, let's say 1985. See the --listen
option in the hobbitd man page.
2)Configure BB's bbd to listed only on the 127.0.0.1 address (or, something
else similar, like listening on a different port). This is the part I forget
3)Enable Xymon's bbproxy task in hobbitlaunch.cfg, listening on the "external"
IP on the normal bb port (1984), and forwarding to both (1) and (2) (probably
better to forward to Xymon's hobbitd first, the BB's bbd).

When you are finished with the migration, of the server side, kill BB, then
configure hobbitd to listen on the normal port, and disable bbproxy. Then
consider migrating clients as well.

Regards,
Buchan