How to create multiple custum test under one column

thorsten.erdmann at daimler.com thorsten.erdmann at daimler.com
Mon Dec 7 17:17:44 CET 2009

Hi,

I want to do some application tests on several servers. All these test
should be under one column named "app". Every test is unique for one
server. So test "app" on "server1" is different from "app" on server2. All
these test run remotely on the hobbit server, not on the destination
servers.

For now I wrote a test-script for every test and define a unique testname
for the bbhost file for every test-script. In the script I reported to the
"app" column. Works fine, but I have to include every test-script in the
hobbitlaunch file and so all these tests run simultaneously, resulting in
a big number of processes on the hobbit server.

So I  think of writing _one_ testscript for the "app" test and let this
script decide which subscript should be run for each host. So all the
different tests would be run under one master test script and so I
hopefully get only one process.

   BBHTAG=app        # What we put in bb-hosts to trigger this test
   COLUMN=app           # Name of the column, often same as tag in
bb-hosts

   TEMPFILE_OUTPUT=$BBTMP/$BBHTAG.output.tmp
   TEMPFILE=$BBTMP/$BBHTAG.tmp
   $BBHOME/bin/bbhostgrep $BBHTAG | while read L
   do
      echo "found hosts: $L"
      rm $TEMPFILEOUTPUT >/dev/null 2>&1
      set $L    # To get one line of output from bbhostgrep
      HOSTIP="$1"
      MACHINEDOTS="$2"
      MACHINE=`echo $2 | $SED -e's/\./,/g'`

      COLOR=green
      echo "Application test on $MACHINEDOTS" > $TEMPFILE

      if "$MACHINE" == "server1"
         . apptest_server1.sh
      fi
      if "$MACHINE" == "server2"
         . apptest_server2.sh
      fi
      MSG=`cat $TEMPFILE_OUTPUT | fold -s -w 100`

      if [ $DEBUG = TRUE ]
      then
        echo "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR `date` $MSG"
      else
        $BB $BBDISP "status $MACHINE.$COLUMN $COLOR `date` $MSG"
      fi
      rm $TEMPFILE_OUTPUT >/dev/null 2>&1
    done

    exit 0

What do you think of this method? Maybe you have a better idea?

Thank you
Thorsten Erdmann

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.