Devmon / MRTG

mv652 at softhome.net mv652 at softhome.net
Mon Aug 17 12:36:09 CEST 2009

Thanks for that explanation.

I'll take a look at the Devmon lists too.

One of my concerns is 'over-monitoring' and consequently causing too much
stress on the network and systems being monitored (including the monitoring
server itself).

A 5-minute average interface check would be too long for my needs.  Should I
be concerned if I set the snmp monitoring to a 1-minute average?

We don't have many devices at the moment, but the network has potential to
grow quite rapidly.

I suppose this could be a general question of 'how much monitoring is too
much much'?  Some would say you could never have too much, but are there any
benchmarks I can use to minimize any performance hits on my network caused
by this monitoring?

Mario