RE: [hobbit] Can´t receive client data

Kevin Kelly kkelly at lifetouch.com
Thu Aug 13 17:02:45 CEST 2009

What does a 'ps -ef|grep hobbit" show?

-----Original Message-----
From: Thorben Advena [mailto:advena at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de]
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:55 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Can´t receive client data

Hi,

I do a tcpdump on my system and it worked well, so my network isn´t a
problem. The Hobbit Server is in the same subnetwork as the xymon
server.

So i think my problem is on the two test clients. On the clients, a
hobbit client is installed. Is that my problem ? Maybe i must install
a xymon client to get data ?

regards Thorben

Zitat von Stewart L <stewartl42 at gmail.com>:

> You could do a tcpdump on the system to make sure you are seeing the packets
> hit the box...
>
> tcpdump 'port 1984'
>
> If you see packets, It's likely a hobbit issue. If not, you have a
> networking issue.
>
> Stew
>

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Thorben Advena <advena at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
>> wrote:
>
>> Zitat von Kevin Kelly <kkelly at lifetouch.com>:
>>
>>  Did the ip address of the server change? What is BBDISP set to in
>>> hobbitclient.cfg on the clients?
>>>

>> Hi Kelly,
>>
>> BBDISP="134.2.3.205" --> this is my entry in the hobbitclient.cfg. The IP
>> Address is my new xymon server, but i can´t receive the data -.-
>>

>> Zitat von Johan Sjöberg <johan.sjoberg at deltamanagement.se>:
>>
>>  Did you have a working setup with Hobbit 4.2.0, with clients that sent
>>> data correctly? Are you using the same IP or DNS name on the new server as
>>> configured in the clients?
>>>
>>> /Johan
>>>

>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> we have a working Hobbit 4.2.0 Server with nearly 200 Clients, which send
>> data correctly. For my new Xymon Server i use not the same ip and not the
>> same hostname. I know that all my clients send the data to the hobbit
>> server, but i configured two clients to send the data over the hobbit client
>> to the xymon server.
>>

>> Zitat von Stewart L <stewartl42 at gmail.com>:
>>
>>  Firewall in the way?
>>>
>>> Xymon uses port 1984.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> thanks for all your help. In the test stage i don´t start my firewall, so
>> no firewall in the way and the xymon port is open, too.

>> Thorben Advena
>> Zentrale Systeme
>>
>> Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung
>> Universität Tübingen
>>
>> Wächterstraße 76
>> D-72074 Tübingen
>>
>> Tel: +497071 29-70284
>> Fax: +497071 29-5912
>>
>> Email: thorben.advena at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
>>

> --
> Stewart
> --
> An infinite number of mathematicians walk into a bar. The first one orders a
> beer. The second orders half a beer. The third, a quarter of a beer. The
> bartender says "You're all idiots", and pours two beers.

Thorben Advena
Zentrale Systeme / Auszubildener

Email: thorben.advena at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de