[hobbit] Monitoring "internet"

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:16:03 CEST 2009

This isn't particularly elegant, but something like it should do what you
want:
   #!/bin/bash

   TESTHOSTS="www.google.com www.yahoo.com www.microsoft.com"

   for N in $TESTHOSTS
   do
     curl -s -S -L -m 10 -o /dev/null http://$N
     if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; then
       # page fetched OK
       break
     fi
     # Ran out of hosts, must be all broken
     $BB $BBDISP "status internet.web `date`
        Cannot reach any common web servers, panic now!!"
     exit 0
   done
   # found at least one working offsite server
   $BB $BBDISP "status internet.web `date`
      Found at least one working offsite server.  The world is still there."
   exit 0

Ralph Mitchell