depends statement returning wrong result

Scot Kreienkamp SKreien at la-z-boy.com
Fri Apr 17 15:10:26 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I had an issue with a depends statement last night.  Here's the line in
question from my bb-hosts:

0.0.0.0    mdav6022.mdmza.dmz.hq #
http://mdav6022.mdmza.dmz.hq/lazboy/Main/login.do CLIENT:MDAV6022
COMMENT:"web4" depends=(http:retv6002.na.hq/http) DOWNTIME=*:0125:0415

If I pull up the history for mdav6022 it shows the http test constantly
going up and down for about 6 hours last night.  Most of the time the
test went white due to the http test failing on retv6002, which is what
it's supposed to do.  The problem is that when I went to look at
retv6002, the http test there shows green the entire night except for
about 2 minutes of planned downtime.  I also haven't gotten any calls
this morning about mdav6022 being down, so I don't think it was actually
down.  Maybe we had a network issue with communication to mdav6022 or
something; I don't know, I'll worry about that later.  What worries me
with the depends statement though is why did the http test go white and
claim that the http test it depends on also failed, when in reality it
didn't?

Thanks,

Scot Kreienkamp

La-Z-Boy Inc.