[hobbit] Graphing iostat on Linux systems?

Martin Flemming martin.flemming at desy.de
Tue Apr 7 00:15:54 CEST 2009

Hi, Harald !

thanks for the hint with drdb !

Hmm, .. but dont't understand your "preamble",
if i use your script, it seem's that the script think,
that it's serverside-script ... ;-)

[it-hobbit2] /usr/lib/hobbit/client # bin/bbcmd ext/new_linux-iostat.pl
2009-04-06 23:56:55 Using default environment file /usr/lib/hobbit/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
2009-04-06 23:56:55 Cannot load bb-hosts, or file is empty
Not running on it-hobbit2...

[it-hobbit2] /usr/lib/hobbit/client #

.. but it isn't one ...

What's is missing in my enviroment ?

thanks & cheers,

 	martin

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009, Husemann, Harald wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> thanks for the link (and thanks to the programmer of linux-iostat), I've
> installed it (with some additions/changes, see below) as described, and it
> works and shows what I need, :-).
> I attach my version of the script to this mail, since I made some edits:
>
> 1. Added my "preamble" which I use in every extension script:
>
> ===============/snip/======================
> my $TEST = "iostat";
> (...)
> my $HOST = $ENV{"MACHINE"};
> $HOST =~ s/(.*),.*,.*$/$1/;
> if (system("$ENV{'BBHOME'}/bin/bbhostgrep $TEST | grep $HOST > /dev/null
> 2>&1") != 0) {
>    print "Not running on $HOST..." if $debug;
>    exit 0;
> }
> ==============/snap/========================
>
> With this, I can have the same scripts and config files on all systems (helps
> to keep things up2date), and just add the appr. entry (in this case, iostat)
> to the host part in bb-hosts ti run the script on a particular host.
>
> 2. Cleaned up the regex a bit
> 3. As we're using drbd (DistributedRemoteBlockDevice, often used with
> Linux-HA), I added "drbd" to the devices list.
>
> Maybe someone can use my version, or get some ideas from it.
>
> hh
>
> Martin Flemming schrieb:
>>  Hi, Harald !
>>
>>  http://www.docum.org/foswiki/bin/view/Xymon/LinuxIostatGraphs
>>
>>  Cheers,
>>    martin
>>
>>  On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Husemann, Harald wrote:
>>
>> >  Hi all,
>> >
>> >  I'd like to use iostat for performance monitoring, and include its
>> >  output in the Hobbit pages.
>> >  I've found an old post about it, but it seems that the URL mentioned
>> >  there (http://www.docum.org/twiki/bin/view/Hobbit/LinuxIostatGraphs) is
>> >  no longer valid.
>> >  Any ideas where I can get it?
>> >
>> >  Thanks,
>> >
>> >  Harald
>> >
>> >  --
>> >  Harald Husemann
>> >  Netzwerk- und Systemadministrator
>> >  Operation Management Center (OMC)
>> >  MATERNA GmbH
>> >  Information & Communications
>> >
>> >  Westfalendamm 98
>> >  44141 Dortmund
>> >
>> >  Geschäftsführer: Dr. Winfried Materna, Helmut an de Meulen, Ralph
>> >  Hartwig
>> >  Amtsgericht Dortmund HRB 5839
>> >
>> >  Tel: +49 231 9505 222
>> >  Fax: +49 231 9505 100
>> >  www.annyway.com <http://www.annyway.com/>
>> >  www.materna.com <http://www.materna.com/>
>> >
>> >  To unsubscribe from the hobbit list, send an e-mail to
>> >  hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk
>> >

> --
> Harald Husemann
> Netzwerk- und Systemadministrator
> Operation Management Center (OMC)
> MATERNA GmbH
> Information & Communications
>
> Westfalendamm 98
> [...]

Gruss

        Martin Flemming

Martin Flemming
DESY / IT          office : Building 2b / 008a
Notkestr. 85       phone  : 040 - 8998 - 4667
22603 Hamburg      mail   : martin.flemming at desy.de