[hobbit] Trying to create graphs with Devmon

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Apr 2 17:18:34 CEST 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 16:21:50 William Ottley wrote:
> Hi again Buchan,
>
> Your instructions say:
>
> 2)Ensure you have "if_load::1" and "devmon" in the GRAPHS variable in
> hobbitserver.cfg (should be there by default AFAIK)
>
> What I have is: devmon::1,if_load::1
>
> Slightly different. Is this ok?
>
> With regards to the rrd files,
> All I have is one file for each of the cisco's I'm monitoring:
>
> $BBVAR/rrd/<hostname>/tcp.conn.rrd
>
> I have a few servers that are being monitored, and there are several
> different .rrd files.....
>
> With regards to your #3. I'm a bit confused.
> My structure is different.
> I have everything in:
>
> /home/xymon/ data
> /home/xymon/ cgi-secure
> /home/xymon/ cgi-bin
> /home/xymon/ client
> /home/xymon/ server /etc...
> /home/xymon/ devmon
>
> I don't see the hobbitgraph.d
> I do see the devmon-graph.cfg in /home/xymon/devmon/extras/
> So I just simply did a cat devmon-graph.cfg >> hobbitgraph.cfg
>
> I restarted everything, and I still only get the one graph: tcp.conn.rrd
>

> So maybe I should show you how my web page looks like, and an example of my
> bb-hosts file?
>

> My Web page has:
>

> Switches / Firewall
>                                 conn
> info trends
> firewall    conn:green:2d12h51m     info:green:10.136.209.150
> trends:green:
> walmart    conn:green:2d15h22m     info:green:161.174.32.2
> trends:green:

OK, so devmon isn't actually polling these devices. Having (e.g.) an if_load
test displayed on the hobbit server is the first step (you won't get rrd files
for the if_load test if Hobbit isn't getting any if_load data) ....

> Each of these sections only has 1 graph.
>
> Bb-hosts:
>
> page switches Switches / Firewall
> group-compress <H3><I>Switches / Firewall</I></H3>
> 10.136.209.150 firewall         #
> DEVMON:model(cisco;asa),cid(cmisnmp),tests(memory,if_stat,if_load,if_err,if
>_ dsc,cpu,cluster,serial,specs,connects)
> 161.174.32.2 walmart            # DEVMON:model(cisco;2600),cid(cmisnmp)

What do you get from running devmon with the -readbbhosts option? Have these
hosts (walmart, firewall) been added to the devmon hosts.db file (you can use
'strings /path/to/hosts.db' to see what text is in the db file)? Are there any
relevant errors in the devmon log file?