[hobbit] DNS setting

pkc_mls pkc_mls at yahoo.fr
Mon Sep 29 11:06:44 CEST 2008

bsd a écrit :
> Hello folks,
>

> I have configured hobbit to take care of the monitoring of my hosting
> services.
> So far I have had no problem… but with DNS service.
>
> 1. I was unable to figure out where and how dns is called by hobbit.
>
> 2. I have many false positive received from this server.
>
> I am managing DNS services where the classic request on "yahoo.com" or
> any other domain name from the net will not feet… These DNS services
> do not necessary act as resolver… at least not for the "yahoo.com or
> google.com"
>
> They are master server and need to be querried in a specific way.
>
> So my question is: where and how can I tune DNS services requests in
> Hobbit?

the dns tests are described in the bb-hosts manpage :

    DNS SERVER TESTS

These tags are used to setup monitoring of DNS servers.

dns
    Simple DNS test. It will attempt to lookup the A record for the
    hostname of the DNS server.

dig
    This is an alias for the "dns" test. In bbtest-net, the "dns" and
    "dig" tests are handled identically, so all of the facilities for
    testing described for the "dns" test are also available for the
    "dig" test.

dns=hostname

dns=TYPE:lookup[,TYPE:lookup...]
    The default DNS tests will attempt a DNS lookup of the DNS' servers
    own hostname. You can specify the hostname to lookup on a DNS server
    by listing it on each test.

    The second form of the test allows you to perform multiple queries
    of the DNS server, requesting different types of DNS records. The
    TYPE defines the type of DNS data: A (IP-address), MX (Mail
    eXchanger), PTR (reverse), CNAME (alias), SOA (Start-Of-Authority),
    NS (Name Server) are among the more common ones used. The "lookup"
    is the query. E.g. to lookup the MX records for the "foo.com"
    domain, you would use "dns=mx:foo.com". Or to lookup the nameservers
    for the "bar.org" domain, "dns=ns:bar.org". You can list multiple
    lookups, separated by commas. For the test to end up with a green
    status, all lookups must succeed.

did it answer your question or do you need some other infos regarding dns ?