[hobbit] Server up, network down.

Anna Jonna Armannsdottir annaj at hi.is
Fri Sep 19 15:43:55 CEST 2008

On fim, 2008-09-18 at 14:38 -0400, michael nemeth wrote:
> Maybe?
> NET:location
>     This tag defines the host as being tested from a specific
> location.
> If bbtest-net sees that the environment variable BBLOCATION is set,
> it
> will only test the hosts that have a matching "NET:location" tag in
> the
> bb-hosts file. So this tag is useful if you have more than one BBNET
> system, but you still want to keep a consolidated bb-hosts file for
> all
> your systems.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is probably the solution to a problem
I have been seeing for a few months. I have 2 Hobbit Monitor servers,
and they use exactly the sama bb-hosts files.
A few of the monitored hosts allow monitoring from  one of the Hobbit
Monitor, but not the other. This caused rapid fluctuation in the status
for those hosts. The status oscillated between green and white with a
few minutes cycle. That was because the servers could not agree if the
service was up or not. Now I know how to solve it. :)

> Now you would have to set up a bbnet server other than your  main
> bbserver.

No I do not think I have to split the servers. They should continue
to work fine with this change.

--
Kindest Regards, Anna Jonna Ármannsdóttir,       %&   A: Because people read from top to bottom.
Unix System Aministration, Computing Services,   %&   Q: Why is top posting bad?