[hobbit] Weird application freeze problem

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 05:20:29 CEST 2008

Does your ntpdate have the  -B option??  If so, it can make the adjustment
slowly.

>From the Gentoo Linux manpage:

       -B     Force  the  time  to always be slewed using the adjtime()
system
              call, even if the measured offset is greater than +-128 ms.
The
              default  is  to step the time using settimeofday() if the
offset
              is greater than +-128 ms. Note  that,  if  the  offset  is
much
              greater than +-128 ms in this case, that it can take a long
time
              (hours) to slew the clock to  the  correct  value.  During
this
              time. the host should not be used to synchronize clients.

>From the NOTES section of the adjtime(3) man page:

       The adjustment that adjtime() makes to the clock is carried out in
such
       a manner that the clock is always monotonically increasing.  Using
adj-
       time()  to adjust the time prevents the problems that can be caused
for
       certain applications (e.g., make(1)) by  abrupt  positive  or
negative
       jumps in the system time.

Ralph Mitchell