[hobbit] Graph definitions

Graham Nayler graham.nayler at hallmarq.net
Thu Oct 30 22:40:03 CET 2008

Hi Vernon, Phil,

I'm actually using custom scripts, as I wanted a bit more flexible
formatting in the report. There is however an easier way if you want to have
a standard NCV report - use SPLITNCV instead of NCV. There was a brief
question about this back in the summer, but the only source of info I've
found really is the sourcecode.

In hobbitserver.cfg, instead of NCV_<testname> write SPLITNCV_<testname>.
Everything else is as for NCV.

This will generate one RRD file for each colon-defined <datasource> line in
the test file, named "<testname>,<datasource>.rrd" (and yes the first
separator is a comma). Internally the RRD file datasource is named "lambda",
as there is only one datasource per file.

Then in the hobbitgraph.cfg definition, use something like

FNPATTERN ^<testname>.(.+).rrd                # yes the first separator is a
full-stop/period
TITLE and YAXIS as usual
DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:lambda:AVERAGE
LINE2:p at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDMETA@
GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@:LAST:@RRDMETA@ \: %5.1lf%s (cur)

etc

(I assume you know about the replaceable parameters in the definition
language - it all looked very byzantine when I first came across it a few
weeks ago, but I can explain it if necessary)

There is a problem though in that SPLITNCV is broken in the version I have
(4.3 snapshot from August) - it tries defining two datasource lines both
calls lambda in the same file. You will have to fix one line of code:

In hobbitd\rrd\do_ncv.c, 20 lines from the bottom there is a line
if (split_ncv && (paridx > 1)) {

Change the 1 to 0. Recompile, copy hobbitd_rrd from <build>/hobbitd to
<hobbit>/server/bin, and restart hobbit. It then works.

If you want to go the external script route, that snapshot was also broken,
but I believe it is now fixed in the latest snapshot. The way I did it is in
these two replies:
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/10/msg00159.html
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/10/msg00248.html

Graham Nayler