[hobbit] nagios vs hobbit

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Oct 17 17:27:49 CEST 2008

On Friday 17 October 2008 15:42:08 McDonald, Dan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 15:05 +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > >
> > > At my job, we're using two primary tools for network monitoring -
> > > Hobbit and OpenNMS.  Hobbit is primarily for system monitoring, and
> > > OpenNMS for network monitoring.
> >
> > You mean for SNMP polling?
> >
> > <plug>Have you tried devmon</plug>
>
> I would, if it supported snmp V3...

It's on the to-do list. If you can test, I will try and implement soon. AFAIK,
SNMP_Session supports snmpv3, so it should mostly be a configuration issue.

(You could also file a bug on the sourceforge tracker, so I don't forget).

(First 2 weeks are looking most promising for some real devmon development).

> > > If I put enough work into OpenNMS, it would be able to replace Hobbit
> > > and leave it in the dust, but I don't have any reason to spend the
> > > time.
> >
> > What features specifically would you use from OpenNMS (and aren't
> > available with Hobbit+devmon?).
>
> The main thing hobbit is missing is the mapping front-end.  Yes, I know
> about bbmap (I wrote the integration of that for hobbit).  And I've
> thought about porting weathermap to hobbit,

I did that last week. See the devmon mailing list.

/me sanitizes an example ...

http://staff.telkomsa.net/~bgmilne/weathermap.html

(the overlib popup graphs do work, but I'm not going to put static copies and
edit the html to fix all the links right now).

Since it uses a lot of the information devmon has at it's disposal, it's a lot
less editing work than the Cacti one (there is no graphical editor yet, but
it's almost less work to put the interface names in the config file). I will
try and automate it even further soon.

Source tarball at: http://staff.telkomsa.net/~bgmilne/devmon-
weathermap-1.1.2.tar.gz

(that one didn't  have support for VIA tags and ICONS, I will publish a new
one once I have the transparency vs not and label/background vs icon issues
resolved)

> but when you are network
> centric, rather than client centric, you really need a connectivity
> map...

Well, I've got what cacti could do for us (so we don't need it any more), and
I was considering doing something with graphviz and the NET, route_NET, and
route tags ...

Regards,
Buchan