[hobbit] nagios vs hobbit

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Oct 17 15:05:53 CEST 2008

On Thursday 16 October 2008 15:26:55 Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Geoff Steer wrote:
> >  Every time I have to add a new monitor or get asked to graph something,
> > I keep thinking 'This would be so much easier with hobbit!'
>
> At my job, we're using two primary tools for network monitoring - Hobbit
> and OpenNMS.  Hobbit is primarily for system monitoring, and OpenNMS for
> network monitoring.

You mean for SNMP polling?

<plug>Have you tried devmon</plug>

[...]

> If I put enough work into OpenNMS, it would be able to replace Hobbit
> and leave it in the dust, but I don't have any reason to spend the time.

What features specifically would you use from OpenNMS (and aren't available
with Hobbit+devmon?).

(I haven't gotten around to trying OpenNMS, though I have been meaning to for
some time - probably spent most of that time on improving devmon).

Regards,
Buchan