[hobbit] nagios vs hobbit

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Thu Oct 16 15:26:55 CEST 2008

Geoff Steer wrote:
>  Every time I have to add a new monitor or get asked to graph something,
> I keep thinking 'This would be so much easier with hobbit!'

At my job, we're using two primary tools for network monitoring - Hobbit
and OpenNMS.  Hobbit is primarily for system monitoring, and OpenNMS for
network monitoring.  I've still got a ton of stuff to add to Hobbit, but
the configuration is pretty much done, and took a lot less time than
when I set up Big Brother four years ago.

OpenNMS is a whole different beast.  It's much more of a framework than
a drop-in system, so you have to flesh out the last mile or it's not
useful.  We used to have an ancient version of OpenView on Solaris 2.6
set up by my predecessor.  OpenView is even more voodoo than OpenNMS,
but their magic isn't free.  Faced with the prospect of having to learn
how to use one or the other, I chose to use the one that runs on Linux
and won't cost most of my yearly salary just for an upgrade to run on a
recent version of Solaris.  There's still a ton of work to do on it.

With Hobbit, you get almost complete functionality out of the box with
minimal configuration.  There's still more untapped power under the hood
if you delve deeper, but you don't have to sacrifice chickens over the
monitor at midnight to get it working.  Nagios is somewhere between
Hobbit and a full NMS.  I haven't ever set up a Nagios system, mostly
because when I started toying with it, it looked a lot harder than the
Big Brother we were using at the time.

If I put enough work into OpenNMS, it would be able to replace Hobbit
and leave it in the dust, but I don't have any reason to spend the time.