[hobbit] Load Averages

Michael McCullen mmccullen at mwm-tech.com
Wed Oct 8 23:24:11 CEST 2008

Load is a measure of how many processes are running or runnable and is
not directly related to % of CPU used.  There are cases where Load
average is through the roof but CPU % is very low, usually when when
the server is having issues talking to NFS storage or accessing some
kind of I/O resource.

We generally monitor load average based on number of CPUs in the box.
Our standard is yellow at 1.5 * # CPUs and red at 2 * # CPUs.  YMMV.