[hobbit] Testing external web through a proxy

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Mon Nov 24 04:04:58 CET 2008

Hi Ralph

This script works a treat.

Thanks
    Vernon

________________________________
From: Ralph Mitchell [mailto:ralphmitchell at gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 22 November 2008 12:23 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Testing external web through a proxy

Looks like your proxy requires authentication via Kerberos or NTLM or GSS-Negotiate.  Dunno if Xymon can do those.  Luckily the curl tool (httpp://curl.haxx.se<http://curl.haxx.se>) *can* do those...  I haven't had to use them, but it should not be too hard to bang out an ext script to do the check.  Something along these lines:

     #!/bin/sh
     curl -x http://ourproxy.ourdomain.com:8080 \
           --proxy-anyauth -U hobbituser:hobbitpassword \
           -s -S -L -o /dev/null http://www.google.com/
     if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; then
       COLOR=green
       MESSAGE="Pinged Google OK"
     else
       COLOR=RED
       MESSAGE="Failed to reach Google"
     fi
     $BB $BBDISP "status www,google,com.home $COLOR `date`
$MESSAGE"

Obviously that can be expanded quite a lot...  :)  Drop it somewhere on your Xymon server (maybe in server/ext) and set up a block in server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg to fire it off as often as you want.  You may need to give the full path for curl, which is probably /usr/bin/curl.

Ralph Mitchell