[hobbit] Best way to monitor static routing table entries?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Nov 12 21:41:02 CET 2008

In <7FD33A60653949CE943A640CADFAD7DF at FIREBALL> "Gregory Larkin" <glarkin at sourcehosting.net> writes:

>I've been using Hobbit for a few years now, and it has always worked really
>well for me.  Lately, I've added some more tests to certain servers, and one
>thing I'd like to do is detect the presence/absence of some static routes
>that are configured on a RHEL4 Linux box.

>I could write a script that greps the output of "netstat -rn" and redirects
>it to a file.  Hobbit could monitor the content of the file to make sure it
>matches some predefined template, I suppose, but is there a more elegant
>way?

The Hobbit client already collects "netstat -rn" as part of the client
data. You can view it via the "Client data" link from any status page,
or you can grab the latest version of it with
 ~hobbit/server/bin/bb 127.0.0.1 "clientlog HOSTNAME section=route"
The netstat-rn output is in the "route" section of the client data.

So it's something fairly obvious to implement as a server-side
extension, like the "hobbitd_rootlogin.pl" example that is
included in the current snapshot. You can grab it from
http://hobbitmon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/hobbitmon/trunk/hobbitd/hobbitd_rootlogin.pl?revision=5819