MS Cluster

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at woodside.com.au
Wed Nov 12 08:07:58 CET 2008

Hi Raymond

I have no idea what the correct terminology is for this, being a Unix admin myself, but we are trying to keep tabs on a Microsoft Cluster running MS-SQL.
The problem is, the disk devices appear to be dynamic on the component servers.
Imagine a database server WINDB01, consisting of servers WINDB02, WINDB03 and WINDB04.
We are seeing disk m: for an example in WINDB02, then the graph disappears, and the disk m: suddenly appears on WINDB04, and then later vanishes again only to appear back on WINDB02. It's a bit of a pain, because you have no continuity.

We are looking for a way to monitor the static drives on WINDB02,03 and 04 as normal disks, and then have the shared or pooled resources (whatever the term is I don't know) listed on Hobbit under WINDB01, no matter where they really reside.
This will give us continuous graphs for local and shared/pooled resources.

Any ideas?